Cheese Straws are made with oats flour and maida. If you are health conscious you can substitute maida with whole wheat flour. As we add butter and cheese this recipe will be rich in flavour. Kids will love cheese straws.
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground oats flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour (maida)
- salt to taste
- 5 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp grated processed cheese
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- plain flour (maida) for rolling
- 1/4 tbsp butter for greasing
- Combine the oats flour, plain flour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the cheese and chilli powder and mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp of ice-cold water and knead into a semi-stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 25 equal portions and roll each portion into 75 mm. (3”) cylindrical long stick.
- Arrange the straws on an greased baking dish and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 15 minutes, turn them and then bake at 200°c (400°f) for another 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly and store in an air-tight container.
- To get ½ cup of oats flour, grind ½ cup of quick cooking rolled oats in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Make sure that you use butter kept at room temperature and not melted.