A high-potency multivitamin and multimineral daily.
• Beta-carotene. Take 25,000 international units daily.
• Vitamin-B complex. Take a supplement containing 100 milligrams of most of the major B vitamins. Also take an additional 50 milligrams of biotin daily.
• Vitamin C. Take 1,000 milligrams twice a day.
• Vitamin E. Take 400 international units daily, with 100 micrograms of selenium to aid its absorption.
• Iron. Take 50 milligrams daily.
• Zinc. Take 50 milligrams daily, with food and with 2 milligrams of copper.
• Silica. Take 250 milligrams twice a day.
• Free-form amino acid complex. Take 2 grams (2,000 milligrams) three times a day, before or after meals.
In addition to correcting any vitamin deficiencies, women whose hair loss is due to physical trauma, crash diets, or heavy menstrual periods can benefit from supplementation with a high-potency multivitamin and 50 milligrams of iron, together with 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C to boost iron absorption.