Smooth, supple skin without wrinkles and a glowing complexion – who would not wish for that? It is easier than you think – a key to healthy skin is a better diet. A dull, dry complexion is a blinking neon sign that you’re not eating right. We introduce you to beauty-enhancing foods here that will make your skin look better and stop the visible hands of time.
1. Egg yolk keeps the skin young
Egg yolk makes your skin look younger. Vitamin A maintains skin cells and boosts cell renewal; a deficiency will result in a dry, flaky complexion. As an antioxidant, vitamin A also fights free radical damage that can prematurely age the skin.
Foods high in vitamin A: eggs (yolks), calf’s liver, mangoes, lamb’s lettuce.
2. Strawberries protect against pigmentation
Aside from doing good to your body on the inside, strawberries make great natural cosmetics as well. Strawberries help condition and tone the skin. They contain salicylic acid which is a common ingredient found in many commercial products in the market. This makes strawberries a great component for treatments of acne prone skin. Strawberries supply a lot of vitamin C, which can light skin pigmentation and other skin discolorations while keeping the skin clear and supple.
Foods high in Vitamin C: strawberries, peppers, kiwi, black currant.
3. Sweet potatoes protect against cell damage
Did you know that snacking on sweet potatoes can help your skin stay clear, smooth and young-looking? The reason: The crayola-coloured orange in sweet potatoes comes from beta-carotene, an antioxidant that converts to vitamin A in your body and switches on DNA that’s in charge of producing new skin cells and shedding old ones.
Foods high in Beta-carotene: sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, peppers.
4. Salmon is effective against dry skin This omega-3-rich ‘brain food’ is also a good ‘skin food’. The presence of omega-3 in salmon means it will help your skin retain moisture and softness by strengthening the walls of our cells, including skin cell walls. Salmon also helps improve the production of collagen, which helps maintain the skin’s elasticity and suppleness. Salmon also has skin hydrating qualities and has been shown to boost the skin’s ability to retain water, also preventing dryness and flaky skin, which can accelerate the ageing process.
Unsaturated fatty acids stuck in: salmon, mackerel, herring, flax oil, hemp oil.
5. Avocados prevent premature ageing High in minerals and rich in the powerful antioxidant glutathione, avocados are a flavoursome face food that helps prevent premature ageing. Niacin (vitamin B3) is especially important for healthy skin, and avocados contain lots of it. Niacin, an anti-inflammatory, soothes irritated skin and red, blotchy skin. Avocados can also help skin retain its youth through its vitamin C and E content.
Foods high in Vitamin E: avocado, seed oils, sunflower seeds, nuts, oatmeal.
6. Water detoxifies In addition to being life-sustaining and having numerous health advantages, water also benefits your skin, which is the body’s largest organ. Like other organs, skin is negatively affected by dehydration and becomes dry. With adequate hydration, you’ll have healthier skin and look younger. Water helps to moisturize skin and increase its elasticity, and replenishes skin cells and tissues. Another positive side effect: water removes unhealthy toxins from the body.
7. Buttermilk tones the skin Selenium, an essential mineral, teams up with vitamin E as a powerful free radical-fighting antioxidant duo. Protein is responsible for the strength of the skin. Therefore daily protein should be on the menu.
Top suppliers: buttermilk, cottage cheese, cheese, lean meat, fish .
Apart from the above take care to follow below suggestions:
- Take care of your skin by eating right and having fun with your food.
- Drink plenty of water and exercise daily to flush out toxins. And don’t put toxins right back in your body!
- Smoking damages healthy skin and makes it more prone to wrinkles and an ashen, grey colour – not pretty.
- Finally, always wear sunscreen, especially on your face, use moisturizer that contains at least 15 SPF.